Construction Crane Dangers for Workers and Civilians in Louisiana
If you live in or near Lake Charles, you probably know or have known someone who works in construction. Between Louisiana Construction Company, the Axiall Corporation, and the host of other various construction companies throughout Calcasieu Parish, it’s a safe bet that you probably even know a few who work with cranes on a regular basis.
Construction work is a lucrative business and crane operation is a large part of the business. However, do you know that it’s also the most dangerous? Protect yourself and your loved ones by learning how these five common crane problems could cause severe injuries or even death.
Common Causes of Crane Accidents
Crane accidents are one of the leading causes of construction worker injuries, damages, and fatalities. According to OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), cranes pose these five unique threats toward operators, workers and nearby patrons:
- Crane buckling or collapsing. Cranes have weight limits for a reason—to ensure that the crane will not tip over. However, when the maximum weight is exceeded or unbalanced, the crane will be in danger of either buckling or collapsing.
- Improper crane assembly. One of the biggest reasons that causes a boom to collapse is improper assembly. If the crane’s load is unbalanced or does not have the proper blocking to stabilize the load, it may move, shake, or cause the crane to collapse.
- Improper employee training. Operators who do not have the proper training in crane operation and safety procedures increase the risk of crane accidents due to a lack of safety and protocol knowledge.
- Mechanical Failure. Crane maintenance should be followed to prevent accidents due to mechanical failure and worn parts.
- Contact with overhead power lines. Electrocution from contact with overhead power lines is a leading cause of crane-related accidents. This is due to the shear height and maneuverability of the crane arms.
If you’ve recently been injured in a side impact collision and need help with your injury claim, contact us today. Our vast experience and knowledge can help you get the settlement, treatment, and support you deserve. Don’t allow a crane accident to ruin the rest of your life. Call now for a free consultation and the peace of mind you deserve to get your life back on track.
Did you find this article interesting and helpful? Let us know by liking us on Facebook or sharing this page with your friends, family, and coworkers.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Dangerous Cranes Lead to Catastrophic Louisiana Accidents"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."